GENEALOGY AND HISTORY SITES THAT ARE FREE TO ACCESS AND FREE TO USE
About me: Jerry E. Reed
First and foremost, I am a seasoned voice talent and media/public relations specialist with many other interests. I have been helping businesses with their narrations, presentations, commercials, and more all of my adult life.
For more information about Jerry Reed - Voice Talent visit:
I am also a genealogist, an avid photographer, and artisan bread baker.
My genealogy interest began before personal computers were a family "must have." Personal genealogy computer research has blossomed in the past 15 years. It wasn't long before someone decided that they could charge for information that should be free and in the public domain. I have always been frustrated by that. Now, thousands and thousands of pages of useful facts are coming on line daily in free-to-access digital archives located all over the world. So, I'm constantly searching for new sources of free on line material. Blog updates follow this section and all links are added to the master list below the new posts.
Updates are posted when I discover another new source or when something I have already reviewed gets a major update. Have fun and enjoy.
Monday, December 29, 2008
"Europeana.eu is about ideas and inspiration. It links you to 2 million digital items.
* Images - paintings, drawings, maps, photos and pictures of museum objects
* Texts - books, newspapers, letters, diaries and archival papers
* Sounds - music and spoken word from cylinders, tapes, discs and radio broadcasts
* Videos - films, newsreels and TV broadcasts
Some of these are world famous, others are hidden treasures from Europe's
* museums and galleries
* audio-visual collections"
When this is fully functional, this is going to be at the top of my list of great places to do research. Fair warning, some of the archives are in the native language of the country of origin, so you may need an interpreter for those that are not in English. Check it out:
Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Daily Review of Nassau County
South Side Messenger
Queens County Review
Nassau County Review
Monday, December 22, 2008
Thursday, December 18, 2008
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Here's the link:
Saturday, December 13, 2008
1900: Seymour City and Business Directory
1915: Directory...[Jackson County] Indiana
1886: History of Jackson County, Indiana. Brant and Fuller.
In addition, there's a nice photo collection. Visit the Jackson County Digital Archive Project through the following link:
Thursday, December 11, 2008
* Anne Marie Stewart Turner letters, 1857-1913
* Broun family U.S. Civil War papers, 1854-1888
* Charlotte and Maximilian Collection, 1846-1927
* Dillingham Family papers, 1858-1958
* Early Houston histories and documents
* General George Cullum Civil War Letter, 1861
* Illuminated Sacred Music Manuscripts
* James F. Grimes U.S. Civil War letters, 1863-1864
* John A. Dix Civil War Pass and Letter, 1862, 1869
* John Brown letter, 1862
* John C. Crosby U.S. Civil War Diary
* John Campbell Personal Papers, 1820-1906
* John Wyatt Moody biographical papers
* Lamar travel journal
* Libby Prison Inmate U.S. Civil War Letter, 1864
* Neumann Family Papers, 1850-1955
* Presentations and Publications by Woodson Research Center staff
* Southwestern Archivist Newsletter
* Texas City disaster records
Check it out at this link:
Monday, December 8, 2008
Here's the link.
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Thursday, December 4, 2008
This site is free to access and free to use if you need to research family in the state of South Carolina. You'll find several groups of documents here including:
Confederate Pension Applications 1919 - 1938 - 10,242 items
Criminal Journals 1769 - 1776 - 2,087 items
Index to Multiple Record Series ca. 1675 -1929 -173,042 items
Legislative Papers 1782 - 1866 - 53,489 items
National Register of Historic Places - 1,415 items
Plats for State Land Grants 1784 - 1868 - 51,809 items >br>
School Insurance Photographs 1935 - 1952 - 2,662 items
Will Transcripts 1782 - 1855 - 11,059 items
Tuesday, December 2, 2008