Thursday, October 30, 2008

American Libraries - Archive.org

Don't let this one fool you. On your initial visit this site looks daunting. This collection contains materials from hundreds of libraries around the the United States. It may not appear to have much for the genealogist. But, take a closer look and be creative with your searches. I did a search on the word "genealogy." The resulting listing showed hundreds of rare volumes of family history books including several volumes of "The New York genealogical and biographical record." I think you'll find yourself spending hours at this site. I know I plan to spend more time here.
Here's the link:
www.archive.org/details/americana

1 comment:

Fay said...

Hooray for free genealogy links, especially from someone located in NY. I've been looking for a lady that was born in NY then moved to NJ where she married then moved on to OH.

Great site and keep up the good work (especially on the NY stuff)